These amazing cookies are ridiculously simple: One bowl gets dirty, there is no crap ingredients in them (in fact they contain only 4 ingredients or 5 if you want the amazing ginger snap version), they are gluten free, vegan, paleo, nut free and refine sugar free – AND if that hadn’t won you over, they are prepped, cooked and ready for munching in under 30 minutes. Oh, and they taste amazing.
So what do you need for these little goodies? The ingredients are as follows (makes 20 biscuits)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup ground flaxseed/linseed (they are the same thing)
- 10 Tbsp buko coconut jam (if you cant get access to this you can swap it for 6 Tbsp of coconut nectar or another sweetener such as maple syrup or honey for non-vegans and 4 Tbsp of coconut oil)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Good pinch of sea salt*Note: after making the first batch I realised this was the perfect ginger snap style biscuit/cookie base so I HAD to simply make another batch right? To make them ginger snaps: finely grate ginger over the bowl to taste – I used 2 tsp of fresh ginger for a strong ginger hit of flavour (and a little anti-inflammatory goodness).
Cinnamon on the left, ginger on the right – what’s a girl to do?
- Simply melt the coconut jam if you live in a cold climate and it has gone hard (or alternative) in a bowl (by placing it inside a bigger bowl with hot water surrounding to soften) then combine and mix all other ingredients to a batter consistency.
- Take a scoop of the ingredients and form in to a cookie shape (or whatever shape you want and place on trays lined with baking paper.
- Cook at 180 degrees for 15 minutes for crunchy biscuit snaps (removing from trays straight away) or for chewy cookies cook for 10 minutes and leave to cool on the trays for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy a few warm – because you deserve it.
- Store in a jar or container for up to a week (if you even let them last that long!)
You can also pick up some Buko Coconut Jam from Buywholefoodsonline and if you are after 10% off use the code ‘catelliott10’ (I DO NOT get a reimbursement for this I just love the company so much they gave me a code for you little healthy foodies to use.