Bread rolls are one of those things that when you omit them from your diet you can become quite distressed, because let’s be honest, who wants to, or ever could, give up burgers (healthy ones of course!)? If you are someone who follows a grain free (or gluten free) diet for whatever reason you’ll know that there are plenty of grain free bread roll options out there, but finding one that’s a low carbohydrate and low calorie option is quite limited. Plus when you can make one at home easily that’s made with a veggie base, the whole “grain-free-bun-awesomeness” level goes up a whole notch. These ones are a sneak peek at some new recipes included in the Wellness Revolution Program (join here) and they are paleo friendly.
This makes 3-4 full bread rolls (6-8 separate bun pieces) depending on how big your cauliflower is.
1 medium head of cauliflower
2 cloves garlic
4 Tbsp. coconut flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 Tbsp. of coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 355ºF/180ºC.
- In a food processor, puree the cauliflower for 20-30 seconds until a very fine consistency is reached.
- Then add all of the remaining ingredients (except the coconut oil) and blend until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Line a baking tray with some greaseproof paper and rub the coconut oil across the paper.
- Form the bread roll mix in to 6-8 balls and place on to a tray. Make half of the bread roll buns with a slightly curved top and the other half flatten with a spatula so that they resemble a flat base bottom and curved bun top.
- Place the tray in to the oven and cook for 25 minutes until your bread rolls are firm to touch.
- Then place the bread rolls under the griller for 5 minutes on high to crisp the buns up (optional).
- Allow bread rolls to slightly cool on a cake tray whilst you prepare the filling.
- Fill with any creative burger fillings you desire.
Note: If you mixture doesn’t feel doughy/sticky enough, add one more egg – this may be needed depending on how large your cauliflower is. You can also mix and match your flavours and add different herbs and spices depending on your taste buds
Join the Wellness Revolution Program to get more recipes, exercise, and healthy living habits set in stone!